The ALARI First Continental Conference on Afro-Latin American Studies / Primer Encuentro Continental de Estudios Afrolatinoamericanos ALARI / Primeiro Encontro Continental de Estudos Afro-latino-americanos ALARI
December 11-13, 2019
The Afro-Latin American Research Institute at the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research, Harvard University, invites professors, students, researchers, scholars, and activists, as well as artists, and policy makers working on Afrodescendants in Latin America to submit a proposal to the First Continental Conference on Afro-Latin American Studies, which will take place on December 11-13, 2019 at Harvard University. This gathering seeks to promote the academic field of Afro-Latin American Studies by fostering a necessary dialogue among actors involved in the production and implementation of academic and race justice agendas in Latin America.
The field of Afro-Latin American Studies as defined in Afro-Latin America: An Introduction is understood as “the study of people of African ancestry in Latin America” as well as “the study of the larger societies in which those people live.” Hence the field is nurtured by contributions from a variety of disciplines, from which we welcome proposals including, but not limited to anthropology, sociology, history, ethnomusicology, literary studies, art and art history, religious studies, economics, law, and political science. It is also enriched by intellectual production of activists and program officers and analysts linked to government and international agencies.
We anticipate that the panels will address, but are not limited to the following topics, understood as pressing issues of the Afro-Latin American Studies.
- Slavery and the Slave Trade
- Afro-Latin American Culture
- Afro-Latin American Archaeology
- The Afrodescendant Movement and Black Mobilization
- Afro-Indigenous Relations
- Afro-Latino/a Studies
- Gender and Feminism in Latin America
- We welcome proposals for individual papers and/or panels submitted in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.
- Please submit your proposal by February 1, 2019 by filling in the following application: https://goo.gl/forms/67ahRmN9LGYU8qKG2
- Please do not send your application in any other format, as it will not be accepted.
- Please limit your Abstract to 250 words (1,500 characters) and your Short Bio to 150 words (1,000 characters.) If you are proposing a panel, please limit the description to 400 words.
- Successful applicants will be notified about the selection decision on April 1, 2019.
Limited financial support will be available upon completion of the selection process.
For further inquiries, please contact ALARI_PRIMER_ENCUENTRO@fas.harvard.edu.